fbpx
February 27, 2024

New Signing, Tajon Buchanan Makes The UCL Squad For Inter As The European Super League Talk Resurfaces

Written By Onyeka Daniel

The winter transfer window officially closed, and for current League leaders, Inter Milan, it’s been a relatively quiet one as the Nerazzurri only brought in Tajon Buchanan from Club Brugge.

More Details

In terms of outgoing, Italian midfielder, Stefano Sensi was expected to join English Championship side, Leicester City, but the transfer failed tk go through despite the fact that Sensi had already traveled to England and was only waiting for the official word, but nothing came.


LATEST POSTS

Chelsea’s Pochettino Faces Uncertain Future After EFL Cup Final Loss As Ben Mee Suffers Injury

OFFICIAL: Minnesota United Appoint Eric Ramsay As New Head Coach

24 And Counting…

Juventus Urged To Offer Rugani A New Contract As Their Row With Cristiano Ronaldo Continues


He’s now expected to stay with the club until the end of the season, when his contract will expire and he will be free to pick his next club. Consequently, his name was missing from the squad list that will be playing in the knockout stages of the UCL.

This is largely due to the fact that he was expected to leave this club. Juan Cuadrado, who recently underwent a surgery is also excluded as he’s expected to be out for at least, two months, and there is no assurance on him returning to full fitness due to his age.

The list was largely unchanged from the one that played in the group stage, while new signing, Buchanan was the only new addition. The Nerazzurri will face Spanish side, Atletico Madrid in the round of 16, after placing second behind Real Sociedad in the group stage, with head to head being the decider.

The first leg will be played on the 20th of February at the Giuseppe Meazza stadium while the second leg will hold at the Civitas Metropolitano stadium in Madrid with a place in the next round at stake.

Meanwhile…

Barcelona President Joan Laporta does ‘not care’ that English clubs don’t want to join the Super League but reveals four Serie A clubs are ready to participate: Milan, Inter, Napoli and Roma. Barcelona and Real Madrid remain the only clubs still formally involved in an alternative European competition, the so-called Super League, which has recently been unveiled with a new format by A22.

During his latest interview with Catalunyan radio Stadio RAC 1, Laporta confirmed that plans for a breakaway European competition are moving forward. Laporta said that the Super League could start in 2025-26 or even in 2024-25 and that English clubs are not necessarily a key part of the project.

On the contrary, he mentioned four Serie A clubs, saying that they would be ready to play in the competition. “In addition to Barça and Madrid there would be the Italians: Inter, Milan, Napoli and Roma,” said Laporta. “Also French teams like Olympique de Marseille, and the three Portuguese, Sporting, Benfica and Porto, who would be delighted to come.

Read Also: Lazio Fail To Strengthen The Team After Two Last Minute Transfers Fall Through

“And there are the Dutch (Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV) and Bruges and Anderlecht from Belgium. A competition of 16 teams would be better.” Inter and Milan formally quit the Super League project in 2021 and are still part of the ECA. They haven’t officially changed their stance yet, despite Laporta’s claims.

On the contrary, Roma and Napoli were not even included in the original Super League project in 2021, while Juventus, one of the main architects through their ex-President Andrea Agnelli, formally started a process to withdraw from the Super League last summer, while their former chairman continues working to make it happen behind the scenes.

Do you have a story tip?
Kindly Email: keepup@bettitude.com

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagramTwitter and YouTube

Bookmark (0)
ClosePlease login

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Be in the Know! Subscribe To BettiSports Daily Newsletter